Who’s ready for sandy toes, warm sun on your face and a break from reality?
Now that spring break is over I can start dreaming, I mean, thinking and planning for summer vacation. Even if its something as simple as camping, these tips are sure to help your next trip away from home.
Here’s tips I plan on using this Summer:
1. Shop while you are still at home. You can often find better deals while at home and for much cheaper too. Check out the dollar store for small item snacks too that you kids will love. Easy items like crackers, chips or even suckers to keep their happy mouths quite for the long drives.
2. Make a few frozen meals ahead of time and take it with you. I plan to make two big casseroles ahead of time. You can even find Paleo friendly recipes to keep it simple and healthy. Freeze them and bring them along for the ride. i.e lasagna, homemade mac n cheese and ham casserole, something that will go a long way once you arrive. Everyone loves a hot meal after a long car ride.
3. Prepare snacks ahead of time. Fruit, chips, crackers etc. Don’t forget to bring foil and ziploc bags as well, to ensure your leftovers don’t go to waste. I love to freeze grapes and raspberries and orange slices. It’s a healthy alternative and again the kids love it, just don’t forget the wipes for sticky fingers.
4. Plan to BBQ. Buy your meat at home and have it marinating and ready to throw on the grill. We always make sure that there’s a grill ahead of time where we are traveling to because this makes our meals easier. Throw a salad together and some fruit and your meal is done.
5. Keep it simple. Sandwiches and fruits for lunch and save the bigger foods for dinner. Make wraps, salads with grilled meat and drink lots of water!
6. Keep snacks light and easy. Popcorn, peanuts, homemade granola, beef jerky or even raisins etc. It’s actually healthier to eat more often throughout the day snacking on healthy items to go long periods without eating. I’ve tried to be better about this, as I’m busy running kids here and there, I’m off to the gym and we are always going and doing. Summer time CAN be relaxing and affordable if you plan ahead.
Happy Summer dreamin’ and planning 🙂
Let the count down begin!
Where are you headed this summer? Any fun traditions you do ever year? One day I’d love to have a family escape place at the beach or up north in the woods to escape reality and the heat of Arizona. 🙂 Till then we will just keep trucking along with our plans.