I am often asked what I use for homeschooling and what activities we do, so I have decided to share some of the fun we have with all of you. I am starting with an art lesson we had a couple of months ago.
On a side note this would be fun for any kids especially when you are trying to find activities for summer break!!
First and fore most let me say I am absolutely no artist! I don’t have an artistic bone in my body but that doesn’t mean I can’t teach art! I like to teach art appreciation by learning about an artist’s life. Looking at their works of art and then using some of the same techniques the artist used we create our own works of art.
For this lesson we learned about Michelangelo over the course of a couple weeks.
A Few Fun Facts about Michelangelo:
- His full name is Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni.
- His mother died when he was only 6.
- He was the second oldest of 5 boys.
- He preferred sculpting over painting.
- Only painted the Sistine Chapel because the Pope asked him too.
- Took him 4 years to paint the Sistine Chapel.
- It has over 300 people and no two are alike.
- He had to stand or lay on a scaffold and paint over his head the whole time.
The second week we learned about his sculptures. We studied The Pieta and his most famous Michelangelo’s David.
A Few Facts About the Sculptures:
- David is 13 ft. tall.
- They are both made out of marble.
- The Pieta is the only work of art Michelangelo ever signed.
There is a glimpse into my homeschool! Hope you enjoyed it and will check back for more fun activities to do with your kids!
Let me know if there is something you would like to see??