This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SwansonSummer #CollectiveBias
Do your kids know how to cook? Mine enjoy being in the kitchen so I started years ago having them help me bake and make dinner. Now that my girls are getting older I have been having cooking lessons with them so that they are learning to make things all by them selves. (Make sure to scroll all the way down to check out the awesome giveaway!)
Each week when I make the grocery list I ask them what they want to make or what do they want to learn to make. It is a fun way for them to learn to cook and often they think of things that I wouldn’t normally pick. Sometimes we look for inspiration for dinner ideas when we are shopping. My daughter and I were recently on our weekly shopping trip at Sam’s Club and picked up Swanson’s Chicken broth because she wanted to learn to make chicken pot pie. After I bought mine I found out that Sam’s Club has started carrying the new 6 pack of Swanson’s Chicken Broth in cartons instead of cans. They are so much more convenient than cans. I hate throwing out the unused portion in a can when a recipe calls for 3 cups! They are so handy to have on hand for any amount you need!!
This recipe isn’t super hard but it can be a little over whelming if you aren’t prepared. So for this recipe we learned about “mise en place.” What is that you ask? It is French for “putting in place,” basically getting everything measured and ready before we begin!! My kids are huge food network channel fans so they thought it was cool to actually do something they had heard on t.v.
Don’t be scarred of the ingredient list. It looks like a lot of butter but this recipe make 3 chicken pot pies. It is a fabulous freezer meal so you can have the extra in the freezer ready for any busy day!!! Now lets get cooking…….
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, diced, and cooked
- 1 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 t. pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots (they come in a bag together)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can cut green beans (you can use frozen green beans but they aren’t my favorite)
- 1-6 premade pie crust
Slowly whisk in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme until incorporated. Cook for a few minutes.
Next whisk in chicken broth and milk. Stir until bubbly and thick and then add the remaining ingredients (chicken, vegetables, and potatoes).
Remove from heat and your filling is done. Here you have some choices…..
- You can make it into three separate pot pies with a crust on the bottom and on the top. One for dinner and two in the freezer (put a triple layer of foil over the filled pot pie). To cook a frozen one thaw completely and cook like normal.
- You can make one normal pot pie and freeze the remaining filling in plastic containers and then make it in to a pot pie with crust when you are ready to eat it.
- One pot pie isn’t enough for my super sized family so I divide the mixture into two and put it in a larger casserole dish. I put the extra in a plastic container to freeze for later. I also normally only put crust on the top. Mainly because it is easier.