I attempted making baby food from scratch with our 2nd baby, but that was 4 years ago and a lot has changed since then! There are now wonderful products out like the Freshfoods Cook-n-Blend Baby Food Maker. It steams and blends your food all in the same container. It makes baby food making a whole lot easier!
This was my first time using a baby food maker. Before when I made baby food from scratch with my 2nd baby, I remember it being a project that took up my whole kitchen. And since I was making the mess, I wanted to do a few batches all at once, so I didn’t have to make the mess again for a few days. Well, not anymore! After trying out the Nuk Freshfoods Cook-n-Blend Baby Food Maker for the first time I could picture myself using it everyday or even prepping for a few weeks using the Freshfoods Freezer Trays and hardly making a mess. Another feature that I appreciated was that since I am not using the stove to steam the food, I could walk away while the food is cooking. So nice! I can get something else done instead of being stuck to the stove and be able to make my baby healthy, nutritious baby food. A multi-taskers dream!
To make my own baby food, we started out with Butternut Squash, all I had to do was:
1. Peel and chop the food, place it in the steam basket,
2. Add water via the side of the Freshfoods Cook-n-Blend Baby Food Maker by removing the cap. (see pic 2 above).
3. Attach the lid and push the green button and walk away. It took less than 20 minutes and it beeped when it was done. Note: Beeping was a soft high pitched sound. My baby was actually sleeping in her swing nearby while it was steaming and did not even wake up.
4. Remove steam basket and add to the main bowl. Attach the lid and blend. You can choose from a smooth blend or a chunky blend.
5. Cool and serve.
This was actually her first taste of “real” food. Since she is only 5 months, I’m going to wait another month since she is not quite ready. But until then, I can prep some food or try some of the fruit blends with my older kiddos. We tried the apple and pear blend from the recipe book for an after school snack and the kiddos loved it! The fruit pops sound like a fun treat, too.
Additional details about the Freshfoods Cook-n-Blend Baby Food Maker:
- Comes with 2 steamer baskets (one sits inside the other to seperate food and keep their fresh taste), a smoothie blade attachment so the whole family can enjoy it, a spatula, a recipe book with some helpful basic tips and recipes to get you started.
- Makes up to four meals at a time with large 32 oz bowl
- Beeps and stops automatically when ready
- With two texture options–smooth or chunky–you can use it for years as it grows with your child
- Healthy steam cooking helps preserve vitamins and minerals
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean
- Includes free recipe book with meal ideas from world-famous child nutritionexpert, Annabel Karmel
- Retails for $99.99, but for a limited time, a $20 coupon is available online
Check out this short video to see it in action:
**I received this product for free fromthe sponsor of the Moms Meet program, May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms Meet blogger, I agreed to use this product and post my opinions on my blog. My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of May Media Group LLC or the manufacturer of the product.